Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Incredible Egg and Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up


I feel like we have been waiting forever for these chickens to start laying. And now, all of a sudden, we have a fridge shelf stacked full of pretty little brown eggs.

We sold our firsts today!


There are so many great things about eggs. I like mine scrambled with salt.


One thing about eggs, that not many people realize, is that the shells can also be useful. We use ours as supplements for our now laying chickens. It takes a lot out of a hen to produce egg after egg. We try to make sure to replenish her nutrients.


So after making a scrumptious breakfast, we lay out eggs shells on a baking sheet and bake them at 350* for 30 minutes.


Then we crush them up.


The idea is that we don't want the hens won't recognize them as eggs (otherwise, they might start eating eggs out of the nest boxes).


Then we toss the crushed shells in for the chickens.

A healthy chicken lays healthy eggs.
I hope that we have many more eggs to come.


Welcome back to Eco-Kids Link-Up!  We had so many great posts shared last week! I enjoyed each and every one of them.  Here are a few of my favorites from last week!

My Bunny is a no nap two year old (she does sleep 12-14 hours at night) and by mid afternoon I am tired and looking for fun ways to keep her emtertained.  Kids Zone: Children at Play had a GREAT idea... tape!!



Another link I really liked was from Creative Chaos.  I use a salt block for a natural deodorant.  I shared my reasons why and all the details here... but this looks like a great homemade deodorant recipe.



Making Boys Men had a great Outdoor Play post!!  An ocean apart and yet our outdoor play pictures looks very much alike.. well not counting the cool castle looking structure in several of her pictures.




If you were featured please feel free to grab a button for your blog.  And please keep linking up great all your Eco-Kid ideas!

Like Mama~Like Daughter
Like Mama~Like Daughter




Now on to the party!!!  I hope that you'll share some great family-friendly posts that are also friendly for the environment. Some ideas include:
  •  Nature Activities
  • Outdoor Activities
  • Crafts made with re-purposed or recycled materials
  • Sewing and DIY home projects
  • Science Experiments
  • Posts on environmental issues for kids or families
  • Non-toxic living
  • Homeopathic Remedies
Eco-Kids Tuesdays is co-hosted by Organic Aspirations and Like Mama~Like Daughter this means that anything you link-up shows up on both blogs!

Feel free to link up several of your posts.

There are only a few rules:

Please follow both co-hostess' blogs, and visit some of the other posts and give them some encouragement!  Please stick to posts and photos not giveaways or items for sale.

By linking up, you are agreeing that Organic Aspirations or Like Mama~Like Daughter can feature your photos next week with a link back to your site.  

Please link back to my site using this button (once I get it fixed !!) OR simply text linking within your post!

Like Mama~Like Daughter
Like Mama~Like Daughter


5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much dear Hannah for featuring my deodorant! it does work very well :-).
    I loved your tip about the egg shells, will start giving it to my chickens too.
    thank you so much for hosting and have a wonderful week
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew you that you could feed the eggs back to chickens! I'm storing this tidbit away for the future, when I can convince my husband that we need chickens (wink). You're a wealth of knowledge, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your first egg sales! I can't wait till we have our own chickens...we all love eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but thanks for featuring us! And, yup, that is a castle ruins in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I'm stopping by from The Backyard Farming Connection. It is so exciting when your chickens start to lay! Congrats on your eggs! :)

    ReplyDelete