Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back To Basics~Homemade Happiness

Afternoon Snacks~

Whether they are coming home from school or waking up from naps, most children (and adults) enjoy an afternoon snack. Recently, I have been trying to make the afternoon snack a little more exciting than just the usual crackers.

Homemade popsicles are an old favorite around here. We make up our own recipes as we go along. We use a variety of fruits such as blueberries, peaches, bananas, and raspberries, as well as other ingredients such as peanut butter and grape juice. Anything that sounds good together usually is good together. We blend our mixture together and pour it into the popsicle molds. Two to three hours later we have yummy popsicles for everyone!   


I found this great recipe for homemade fruit roll ups, I had to try it right away. All it takes is a jar of all natural applesauce and 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries. My husband and I really enjoy these, as well as the daycare children! They are delicious, nutritious, and fun for any age!  **I dried the fruit roll ups in my oven--set oven at 150-170 (depending on your lowest setting), crack door open a bit, and bake until almost dry.  My roll ups took about 6-8 hours total.  If you over-dry them, they will stick to the waxed paper.  Ask me how I know that?!?!


Just yesterday I made candied acorns. (I didn't even know acorns were edible!) The children were so excited to eat them for snack and kept asking for more and more! No wonder the squirrels like them so much!


We also enjoy fresh fruits and veggies from Mr. McGregor's garden. These can be eaten as they are or used in a recipe to make some other delectable dish!


"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces. Just good food from fresh ingredients."
Julia Child



 
Shared with:

No comments:

Post a Comment