Saturday, May 14, 2011

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

Bunny has been waking up a bit at night. I mean she has always waken up at night to nurse or for a diaper change. But now she has been waking up and wanting to stay up. I am sure it is molars. Deep down I know it is much harder on her than it is on me. But when we are in the midst of a crying, rocking, nursing, fussing, hour long battle to go back to sleep, it is hard on me too. It can be so frustrating for Bunny to be in pain when there is nothing I can do to fix it. All I can do is what I have been doing: Nurse pat, rock, nurse, pat, repeat. I have googled different ways to help her sleep, and I have found that a sippy cup of water sometimes helps her (especially when I am low on milk, and she is overly warm or thirsty). She also likes having a fan blowing on her, and strangely, she cannot sleep very long without pants on (?). Many people train their baby to sleep in a crib, However, when a babies are in pain, they don't sleep anyway. I would rather have bunny near me so I can comfort her better.

The truth is that I can take all of the crying, rocking etc, etc... As long as I get the "drunk" (when I say drunk I mean the whole eyes rolling, swaying, slowly drifting off to sleep thing) baby in my arms at the end of it all. It is a give and take, but I get more than I have to give. For me, co-sleeping has never been about all the good that come of it (though there are many wonderful pluses to co-sleeping). For me, it is all about the fact that I want to sleep with my baby. I want to hear her breath and feel her heart beating. I want to smell the lavender in her hair and wake up to her pouty little sleepy face every morning. I want all of these things and more in co-sleeping, and so far, I have gotten them. Even if I have gotten some sleeplessness along the way.

I love co-sleeping. I love Bunny. I love my life!

P.S. I still hope that those molars come through soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment