Saturday, January 19, 2013

An Enchanted Childhood Playschool ~ January 14th-18th ~ The Mitten


This week we read The Mitten... actually two versions of the beloved story!

One day we simply colored print-outs from Jan Brett's website!



When reading the story, we talked about what "talons" were (the owl had talons).
After the children were done coloring, I noticed both of the Preschool Boys had drawn "talons" on the thumb of their mittens!

We played with our spice scented playdough.



Apple stars never cease to amaze the children!!



  After snack, we watercolor-painted mittens...





Then we took a larger brush and did a quick coat of just water, before sprinkling salt all over the painting.







On Fridays, Hannah does not work, but Bunny comes to Nana's for playschool for two hours. 
The "preschoolers" were allowed to go get her!  Sooooo cute!





Be sure to check "Our Favorites" book-widget on the right.
If you click through to Amazon and purchase a book, I will earn a commission.
I haven't received any money yet, but there is always hope!



Each week I joined several linky parties!  What a fun way to share and learn! 
Monday's Kid Corner, Hey Mom, Look What I Did!, Montessori Monday, Made by Little Hands, Homemade Mondays, Mama Moments Monday {Link Up}Little Wonders' Days,  Mom's Monday Mingle,  Hip Homeschool Hop, Tuesday Tots, (tot school tuesday), The Tuesday Baby Link-Up, Keep Calm Craft On {crafting on}, Teach Me Tuesday, TOO Cute Tuesday, Open Call Tuesday, Backyard Farming Connection Hop, Waldorf Wednesday, It's Playtime, Mom's Library, We Made That Linky, What I Learned Wednesday, Super Link Party, Artsy Play Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday' Adorned From Above, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Kid's Co-Op, Link and LearnThrifty Thursdayneedle and thREAD, Made U Look, Natural Living Link-Up, For the Kids Friday, Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday, Read. Explore. Learn., Preschool and Kindergarten Corner, Friday's Nature Table, Creative Friday, Friday Flair Link Party, Shine on Fridays, Friday Favs, Do Something Crafty, Sharing Saturday, Share It Saturday, Country Kids, Link and Learn, sharing creative, ideas {all weekend}, Show and Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, The Preschool Prekinder Nook

And Each week I co-host two such parties:  The All Year Round Blog Carnival and Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up!





30 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read this story before - it looks like you had great fun!

    Found via Country Kids x

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun ideas! I love The Mitten- Jan Brett's one of our favorites. Thanks for linking up to Share It Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such lovely photos look like the children enjoyed the mitten themed crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up at Share It Saturday! This is great. I love the talons on the mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love this story as well. Thanks for sharing the picture of the two versions you read, I wasn't aware of the one with the blue cover.
    We acted out the story of the mitten last week. I had all the kids under a big blanket that was suppose to be their mitten. It was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Mitten (and all of Jan Brett's books!). Both of my kids were in a classroom "play" when they were Kindies, and I remember the teacher emphasizing the "glinty talons" and all the kids loved it!
    Thanks for sharing your post with us!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. The the pictures of them all holding hands together. I loved it when mine did that, so rare now they are growing up. Thank you for linking up to Country Kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The Mitten. There are so many activities to go along with this book... Here is only one activity I have http://www.brennaphillips.com/the-mitten-preschool-theme-week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the mediums you had the kids use when making decorating their mittens. Jan Brett has great resources on her website. Your spice play dough sounds fun too. Thanks for linking to After School.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really awesome idea. We just read a book about mittens… I was wondering where you got the print-out for the mitten. I would love to do this with my boys (and mama can't draw to save her life!) Thanks for sharing on Monday Kid Corner. http://thejennyevolution.com/2012/12/14/book-nook-the-mitten-tree-magic-tree-house-series/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I found all sorts of print offs at Jan Brett's website-- http://www.janbrett.com/index.html look under actvities!

      Delete
  11. How fun! I need to do this with my son!
    Stopping by from the monday mom link up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to check out the Alvin Tresselt version from our library, but apparently their copy is lost. :-(

    Isn't Jan Brett's website great? So many fun activities to go along with her books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you've taken one book and created so many activities from it. Looks like the children had lots of fun too (popping over from Country Kids)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is really cool that they made talons on the mittens. You came up with some great projects to go with the book. Thanks so much for sharing on We Made That!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the mittens!! Such a fun week. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. in holland we have a book called - kan ik er ook bij- can i join the mitten. http://www.bol.com/nl/p/kan-ik-er-ook-nog-bij/666788834/

    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the pics of them all holding hands together, rare moments as they get older!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the picture of them all holding hands together as they walk long- so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely post. Looks like a great day and book and craft. All perfect.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the claws! What a wonderful ways you explored this book. I will be featuring this post on the Read.Explore.Learn. Facebook page on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Mitten is such a great book. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library. I love activities that go with books!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That mitten looks amazing with the salt on it. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is one of my favorite stories for this age group! Thanks so much for sharing on Waldorf Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love these ideas!

    I have a new weekly linky and hope you will stop by and share this post at: http://itsybitsylearners.com/2013/02/preschool-prekinder-nook-1/

    This is our first week and we really hope you'll come and be part of our growing community!

    ReplyDelete