Friday, June 6, 2014

It's What's for Dinner ~ Quinoa Bake

We LOVE quinoa.  Yummy, healthy, organic quinoa!  Each week I soak three cups of quinoa (pronounced keen wah) for a few hours, rinse well, and cook it in a quart of home-canned broth (I use store bought, organic broth if I am out of home-canned bone broth).  I bring it to a boil over a medium fire, lowering the flame a bit once it boils. Approx 15 minutes later, the broth is gone and I am left with delicious, high protein quinoa!

I am happy to eat this as is with a little sea salt, or as a mac and cheese substitute, or with chopped broccoli and cheese... oh how we LOVE quinoa!  This evening I made my Quinoa Bake.. a recipe I
"threw together" a few months ago when trying to come up with a grain-free, lasagna-type dish!




Quinoa Bake
(one 9X13 pan's worth)

*use as many organic products as your budget allows
today I had no organic dairy, but all else was organic

one dry cup's worth of previously cooked quinoa 
one pound cooked ground beef (I use grass fed)
one jar spaghetti sauce
one large carton cottage cheese
one cup +  mozarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
chopped fresh spinach

mix together well
scoop into 9X13 baking dish
bake 45 mins (or till you like the looks) at 350*



We added a romaine/spinach salad and ....

It's What's for Dinner!


Each week I join several linky parties! What a fun way to share and learn!
Craft & Activity ShareMonday Sharing Day on FacebookThoughtful Spot, Natural Living MondayMontessori MondayHomemade MondaysMama Moments Monday {Link Up}The Gathering SpotLittle Wonders' DaysMom's Monday MingleMommy Moments, Frugal, Crafty HomeHip Homeschool Hop, Tickle my Tastebuds TuesdayMom's LibraryTuesday TotsKeep Calm Craft On {crafting on}, Tuned in TuesdayTeach Me TuesdayBackyard Farming Connection HopTuned in TuesdayTuesday TutorialsLife Created Tuesdays, Kids in the Kitchen,  It's PlaytimeWe Made That LinkyWhat I Learned WednesdayKids Co-OpArtsy Play WednesdayHealthy 2Day Wednesday, Wildcrafting WednesdayAdorned From Above Frugal Days, Sustainable WaysKids CraftsLink and Learnneedle and thREADMade U LookTender Moments with Toddlers and PreschoolersNatural Living Link-UpSmall Footprint FridayOur Days Homeschool Link-Up, For the Kids FridayFarmGirl Friday Blog HopKitchen Fun and Crafty FridayRead. Explore. Learn.Creative Learning on FridayPreschool and Kindergarten Corner,The Friday Baby ShowerTGIF Linky PartyFamily Fun FridayCreative FridayFriday Flair Link PartyShine on FridaysFriday FavsOutdoor Play PartyDo Something CraftyWeekend WhateverSaturday Show and TellTot School Gathering Place, Sharing SaturdayShare It SaturdayCountry KidsLink and LearnShow and Share SaturdayStress Free SundaySunday Parenting PointersThe Sunday ShowcaseThe Sunday Parenting PartyThe Homesteaders' Blog Hop, Making Boys MenMade with LoveRaising Memories


10 comments:

  1. Dag gone, that looks scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow does this look amazing! Been looking for some good quinoa recipes too. I found you over at Back to the Basics. I host Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday and would love it if you linked up this recipe. I’m sure our party goers would love it as much as I do. Here is the link http://bit.ly/1l4cu0j. Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invitation! I linked up and added your "party" to my list!

      Delete
  3. It looks delicious. I might try something similar with turkey mince...I think it would work too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe just went on my weekly menu for next week, it looks fantastic.
    We eat a LOT of quinoa here and I am always ready to try a new recipe.
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe looks wonderful and I think my guys would love it.
    We eat a lot of quinoa here and I am always ready to try a new
    recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! That looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love quinoa, I think I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist!!! YOU have been featured today @ Back to the Basics. Looking forward to seeing what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete