Friday, August 13, 2010

This Little Piggy

I remember waking up in the morning after giving birth to my daughter. The very first morning of my new life. As I examined the young being in my arms, I distinctly remember wanting only two things in the world.
    
The first was to go home to my own house and my own bed, where my mama and my husband would take care of me and my new baby. Where I could just be with my daughter and inhale her. Where, I felt then and always have since, I never should have left in the first place.

The second was to paint my daughter's tiny toe nails pink! I don't know why this urge overtook me. Maybe it was because in the hustle and bustle of a hospital, I felt like the color of her toe nails was one of the few things I could control. At any rate I hadn't thought to pack any nail polish, so it would just have to wait.

A few weeks later, when I had recovered enough to rummage through my make-up bag, I once again set out to paint those piggies. I waited until she was asleep so she wouldn't wiggle away from me and end up with a pink foot. I slowly and carefully painted the first two toes. Then I smelled that familiar nail polish smell and realized that my baby was breathing it too! I rushed her from the room and opened a window. I hurriedly painted the rest of her toes, then carried the still sleeping baby to the door, opened it wide, and sighed a breath of relief.

As the smell of the nail polish toxins faded away, I decided that cute toes were not worth my baby breathing in poison (or possibly soaking it up through her piggies). However, the toes were pretty darn cute, and I hated to think that I would never see them again. I begain to wonder if there might be a solution to this problem and mentioned it to my sister, Meagan. She told me she had heard of a non-toxic nailpolish called Piggy Paint. Praise the Lord for pink toes! It's as natural as mud, can be watered down, and smells much more pleasant than regular nail poish. I started out with Angel Kisses (light pink), but now also have Forever Fancy (dark pink), Twinkle Toes (silver), and Mac-N-Cheese Please (orange-for her daddy). I've even done her finger nails, since its safe for babies to put in their mouths. Happy mama and healthy baby. It doesn't get much better than that!         
Bunny~4 months old
 Birdie~2.5 months old

1 comment:

  1. <3 piggy paint but most of all <3 my little birdie toes... Bunny's toes are pretty cute also

    ReplyDelete