Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Night Weaning (again) and the Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up


I have written before about night weaning Bunny. Then I wrote about un night weaning Bunny. I feel it was the best decision I could make. My poor little girl needed me and I don't at all regret going back to nursing her at night.




Her 2 year old molars FINALLY came through and she is no longer in agonizing pain. We made it through the holidays and are now beginning the night weaning process again. I am taking it slow to start with and just encouraging the idea. My hopes are that we will be ready to take it on full force by January 8th. That is when The Farmer's Almanac weaning days begin. I figured it couldn't hurt to have some lunar phases (at least I am pretty sure that is how they decide the days) on my side. Also, I am giving her the homeopathic, Calms Forte, to help her relax and sleep. So far so good. Bunny at least understands the goal. She and Nana even played it out with little plastic cows (a mama and a baby that were sleeping) and had big talk about it and she knows exactly what the plan is.  And our first night was success!   




In the mean time, we had to put Bunny in trainers at night. She was doing well staying dry at night, but once she started nursing at night again, there were just too many accidents to let her keep soaking everything. We would have put her back in cloth diapers, but they are now a bit too small for her since her new baby milk growth spurt. Not wanting to invest a large amount of money in something she would only need for a short time, we began the search for a brand of disposables I could live with. We tried a couple different ones, and ended up liking Seventh Generation Training Pants the best. There a few reasons for our choice.

  1. They fit Bunny really well. She is a stalky two year old and these have nice stretchy sides that pull on easily.
  2. The hold an entire night of pee. I don't want to wake Bunny up to change her if she is sleeping deeply. These have never leaked on us and she has a very large bladder.
  3. I am a sucker for the whole Go Green side of it. These trainers are the "greenest" disposables that I could find.
  4. Free and clear. This is kind of the same as saying green, but I also wanted to explain that Bunny is a pretty sensitive kiddo. She doesn't handle junk food or harsh chemicals well. We try to use as many natural products on her as possible. The less nasties, the better for us.
  5. They don't smell like a normal disposable diaper. After years of doing daycare and changing thousands of diapers, I have noticed that they have a definite smell. Kind of a funky, bleached, chemically nastiness. These don't smell that way. Even when filled with pee. And that is a breath of fresh air.


We ordered a box of 4 pack of 17 and I am hoping they are the last ones we get. After night weaning, Bunny should hopefully go back staying mostly dry through the night... Hopefully... :)

I am hoping to incorporate some poem or verse into our bedtime routine. Something that basically says it is now night time and we can't nurse until morning. I would like any ideas if you have them.
So far, I have found this:

Now the sun has gone to bed.
The stars are shining overhead.
In their nest the birds all sleep.
Into the houses the snails will creep.
Children now, no more will roam.
It's rest time now, and we're safe in our home.

Now onto the Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up!  Welcome!!  We are happy to be back after taking last week off to celebrate Christmas!  We hope you and your family had a joyful celebration!   We had so many great posts shared with us at the last Eco-Kids Tuesday! I enjoyed each and every one of them.  It is getting harder and harder each week to pick just a few features!  Here are three of my favorites.


Raising Godly Daughters made some homemade Elderberry Syrup! 
Mama and I have been planning to make some, so this recipe was timely!



Explore and Express has one of sweesest, meaningful, and most simple Nativity/Advent activities I have ever seen.



Bridgit's Bell shared the sweetest Winter Gnomes!



Thanks to ALL of you for sharing such wonderful ideas!  If you were featured please feel free to grab a button for your blog.  And please keep linking up great all your Eco-Kid ideas!

Like Mama~Like Daughter
Like Mama~Like Daughter


Now on to the party!!!  I hope that you'll share some great family-friendly posts that are also friendly for the environment. Some ideas include:
  •  Nature Activities
  • Outdoor Activities
  • Crafts made with re-purposed or recycled materials
  • Sewing and DIY home projects
  • Science Experiments
  • Posts on environmental issues for kids or families
  • Non-toxic living
  • Homeopathic Remedies
Eco-Kids Tuesdays is co-hosted by Organic Aspirations and Like Mama~Like Daughter this means that anything you link-up shows up on both blogs!

Feel free to link up several of your posts.

There are only a few rules:

Please follow both co-hostess' blogs, and visit some of the other posts and give them some encouragement!  Please stick to posts and photos not giveaways or items for sale.

By linking up, you are agreeing that Organic Aspirations or Like Mama~Like Daughter can feature your photos next week with a link back to your site.  

Please link back to my site using this button (once I get it fixed !!) OR simply text linking within your post!
Like Mama~Like Daughter

Like Mama~Like Daughter







6 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring my post, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool, cheers from New Zealand, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the night weaning goes well! Have you considered a "weaning topic" bedtime story? Or maybe just a cozy mama/baby story to help her feel secure without nursies. Happy new year to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey mama :) Thanks for featuring my Elderberry post. I recently made a cough and cold version with rose hips and slippery elm root. It's been great!

    I had no idea that 7th generation has trainers. That's neat! I use 7th generation diapers when I have my babies at the hospital instead of theirs. Then I use cloth at home.

    When it comes to weaning, I know nothing about that. Sadly I have never been successful at breastfeeding. I have even gone to the point of hurting myself to try to go as long as I could. God willing, this time will be my triumph! :D

    Happy New Year mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Seventh Generation, and we use them at night too for my 19 mo. old. It's awful how horrible normal diapers smell. There are so many chemicals in them from fragrances and the bleaching process, so I agree with your choice!

    Good luck on night weaning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inviting me to the party. Your babies looks so sweet sleeping.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete